Thursday, May 23, 2013

I WAS A JURY FOREMAN

Jury Box
A judge declared a mistrial in the sentencing phase of Jodi Arias' Arizona murder trial today, after the jury could not agree on whether to sentence Arias to death or to life in prison for murdering her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in 2008.

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to be on a jury panel and was elected jury foreman by my peers.  

Back then, it was difficult to contain my joy.  You see, I'd always known that I wanted to experience formal deliberation.  I know I have a JUSTICE theme in my SOUL!  I believe I'd make a pretty good attorney or investigator.  But, I digress...

Organization

  • My duty, as the foreman, was to establish a procedure for the deliberations.  I had to decide  how the evidence and the points made by the attoreys during the trial was to be reviewed, ensuring that all pertinent information was covered and that no important evidence was left out of the discussion. I also asked for clarification from the judge concerning points of the law.


    Mediation

    As foreman, I led the discussion of the various points of the case.  In some instances, disputes arose between jury members who disagreed on interpretation of the evidence, or even on the guilt or innocence of the defendant.  I had to intervene and attempt to resolve the dispute so that the deliberation process stayed on track.

    My panel wanted to declare us a hung jury after only three hours of deliberation.  I did my best at helping them see we were there to do a job and it was our civic duty to truly work toward an agreement.  We hung in there until we reached a verdict, which in our case took three days.

Polling the Jury 

  • From the Movie, "12 Angry Men"
    When I felt that all of the evidence has been thoroughly reviewed, I took a vote of the jury members as to the defendant's guilt or innocence. At first, the jury did not reach a unanimous verdict, so I asked jury members to explain their votes to determine where they differed. This process continued until a unanimous verdict was reached.  

    Notifying the Judge

    When deliberations concluded and the jury reached a unanimous verdict on all charges, I sent word to the judge that a verdict had been reached. The judge then reconvened the court so that the verdict could be announced.  


    Announcing the Verdict

  • Once court was back in session, the judge asked me, as the jury foreman, to rise and announce the verdict. The judge read each charge against the defendant and I responded with "Guilty". 

    Knowing that someone's fate is in your hand is sobering. Often I don't see the justice in so-called justice.  Having the opportunity to serve on a jury panel was a humbling and unforgettable opportunity. 
_____________________________________________________

Healer, Intuitive Profiler, Psychic-Medium, Mentor, Speaker and Writer, I am available for private sessions by appointment only. Through Intuitive Profiling, I identify and cut unhealthy energetic cords. Releasing these negative energetic connections allows you to function at a higher vibrational frequency.

I also perform Energetic Space Clearing for business (staff profiles included) or home.

619-573-5927 ~ soulsync@cox.net

Shift Happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment